Description of Course
The subject of Aeronautical Engineering is having a broad scope, ranging from design considerations of aircraft and related systems, their operation and maintenance. The broad subject areas covered during this programme include aircraft structures, propulsion, flight stability and control, aerodynamics, aeronautical lab, aircraft material and hardware, maintenance practices and weapons technology. Practical training is provided with in house laboratory facilities and by utilizing actual aircraft available in the department. A strong practical base is supported by conducting field visits and training at aircraft engineering and flying formations of the Sri Lanka Air Force.
The programme is conducted by well qualified internal and external academic staff, having specialization in a variety of distinct sub-disciplines within Aeronautical Engineering field. Further, this programme promotes research culture, industry collaboration and development of the aviation field both locally and internationally.
Successful completion of the Aeronautical Engineering degree programme will lead to the degree of Bachelor of Science in Engineering in Aeronautical Engineering, and prepares students to confidently take on positions as competent Aeronautical Engineers in the Aviation and Aircraft Design and Manufacturing industry. In case of military students, it prepares the Officer Cadets for a wide variety o
- Engineering Knowledge: Apply knowledge of mathematics, basic sciences and engineering sciences to Aeronautical Engineering practices.
- Problem Analysis: Investigate and analyze complex Aeronautical Engineering problems with scientific research methods and engineering knowledge.
- Design / Development of solutions: Design systems, components and processes complying with relevant standards.
- Investigations: Conduct investigations of complex problems using research-based knowledge and research methods
- Modern Tool Usage: Apply computational, laboratory, field techniques and IT tools in Aeronautical Engineering activities.
- The Engineer and Society: Assess social, health, safety, legal and cultural issues related to Aeronautical Engineering practices and propose integrated solutions.
- Sustainability & Environment: Provide practical and sustainable solutions for Aeronautical Engineering problems.
- Ethics: Conduct engineering practices while adhering to professional and ethical responsibilities.
- Individual and Team Work: Function as an individual and as a leader or a member in multi-disciplinary teams.
- Communication: Communicate effectively with engineering community and the society at large.
- Project Management and Finance: Apply knowledge of management and business practices in the Aeronautical Engineering context.
- Life-long learning: Engage in continuous professional development and life- long learning